With this programme, you can launch your career in building and construction trades as a hammer hand or an apprentice. Carpenters work on a variety of projects ranging from building new homes to renovating old ones. This programme comprises a pathway to Level 3 in Carpentry or a related trade and an apprenticeship.
This is a FREE programme.
A travel subsidy is available for Youth Guarantee students.
Student loans and allowances are available for 18 year olds and above who meet the StudyLink criteria.
Find out if you are eligible by calling StudyLink on Freephone 0800 88 99 00 or visit www.studylink.govt.nz.
Ready to kick start your career in construction?
Get the skills you need to enter the building industry as an apprentice, entry-level employee or to move on to more study. This 23-week programme teaches you how to work safely with power tools and construction materials. Develop your communication in relation to the carpentry projects and gain some understanding of various roles in the building industry. You will have hands on experience at the workshop building two indoor and outdoor projects.
Gain a qualification in 23 weeks:
• New Zealand Certificate in Building and Construction and Allied Trades Level 2 (evening classes only)
- You must be at least 16 years of age
- No school qualifications are required and priority is given to applicants who do not have qualifications
- You must be a NZ or Australian citizen or permanent resident
- You must be committed to study and prepared to work hard
- Each applicant will be interviewed and you may be required to complete a literacy and numeracy assessment
- You may also be assessed on your English language speaking and listening skills, if English is your second language
- Students will be selected in order of application
This programme is a pathway to Level 3 in Carpentry, or a related trade and an apprenticeship.
Upon completing this programme, you can enter the building and construction trades as a hammer hand or an apprentice.